These are the proportions for a small single recipe, but it can be multiplied to feed a large group. I did a 5x recipe for my seder. It made a nice light and fresh addition to the table.
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed well
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large English hothouse cucumber or 2 Persian cucumbers, cut into 1/4″ pieces
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2/3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
Bring quinoa, salt and 1-1/4 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until quinoa is tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and spread out quinoa on a large rimmed baking sheet to let cool.
Meanwhile, whisk lemon juice and garlic in a small bowl. Gradually whisk olive oil. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer quinoa to a large bowl, mix in 1/4 cup dressing. [If prepping a day ahead, stop here, cover remaining dressing and chill separately from quinoa]. Add cucumber, tomatoes, herbs and scallions to bowl with quinoa, toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Drizzle remaining dressing over.